Friday, April 28, 2017

My Favorite Book of 2017

I don’t usually start thinking about the Sibert Smackdown this early in the year, but the moment I finished reading Grand Canyon by Jason Chin, I knew it would be on my list. I’m pretty confident that by the end of January, the cover of Grand Canyon will be jam packed with shiny stickers.

I almost never review individual books on this blog, but today I’m making an exception. It’s that good.

It’s no simple feat to create a comprehensive overview of the geology, paleontology, and ecology of our nation’s greatest natural landmark, but the book’s magnificent design allows young readers to easily integrate the various threads.

What I love most of all about Grand Canyon is that it has something for everyone. Young analytical thinkers will love exploring the treasure trove of information in the text, detailed diagrams, and backmatter. The sequence text structure and human hikers will appeal to narrative lovers. And everyone will be captivated by the stunning illustrations (including a gorgeous double-gatefold image of the canyon), the clever use of die cuts, and the parade of critters bordering double-page spreads that focus on ecosystems.

If you haven’t already purchased this book, I’m urging you to order it right now. It’s that good.

2 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed his other books, but this one was by far my favorite too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Talk about an unqualified recommendation. Will have to pick this one up! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete