Friday, February 10, 2017

10 STEM Picture Books

I created this post as part of the annual Nonfiction Picture Book 10 for 10 (#nf10for10) event started by Cathy Mere (@CathyMere) and Mandy Robek (@mandyrobeck) in 2013.

My list includes ten STEM picture books that I’m really looking forward to in 2017, including one that I wrote. J Here they are in alphabetical order:

Can an Aardvark Bark? by Melissa Stewart; Illustrated by Steve Jenkins (Beach Lane/Simon and Schuster)
 
Grand Canyon by Jason Chin (Roaring Brook Press/Macmillan)

Exploring Space: From Galileo to the Mars Rover and Beyond by Martin Jenkins; Illustrated by Stephen Biesty (Candlewick Press)
 
Feathers and Hair, What to Wear by Jennifer Ward; Illustrated by Jing Jing Tsong (Beach Lane/Simon and Schuster)


Newton’s Rainbow: The Revolutionary Discoveries of a Young Scientist by Kathryn Lasky; Illustrated by Kevin Hawkes (Farrar, Straus and Giroux/Macmillan)


Over and Under the Pond by Kate Messner; Illustrated by Christopher Silas Neal (Chronicle Books)

Pedal Power: How One Community Became the Bicycle Capital of the World by Allan Drummond (Farrar, Straus and Giroux/Macmillan)
 

Round by Joyce Sidman; Illustrated by Taeeun Yoo (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)

Shell, Beak, Tusk: Shared Traits and the Wonders of Adaptation by Bridget Heos (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)

What Makes a Monster? Discovering the World’s Scariest Creatures by Jess Keating; Illustrated by David DeGrand (Alfred A. Knopf Books/Penguin Randome House)

24 comments:

  1. Thank you for an awesome list! Can't wait to read your newest book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathleen. It will be published in June.

      Delete
  2. A list of books to pre-order - how clever and dangerous. I can't wait to look at all of them and I love the sneak peak of yours. The cover for What Makes a Monster is just a bit scary too! We are so thrilled to have you join us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for making #nf10for10 a reality, Mandy.

      Delete
  3. I'm happy to see a new book from you, Melissa, new to me! I've heard of Grand Canyon and Over and Under The Pond, but the others, too, are new. Wow, they all look wonderful. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to reading them too. They're by some of my favorite authors.

      Delete
  4. So excited for all of these! We have some great reading ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, Michele. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  5. Adding all titles to Goodreads under the category "Sibert Smackdown Contenders" - thank you, Melissa! What an awesome list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they're all eligible for the Sibert Smackdown. A couple of the authors aren't U.S. citizens.

      Delete
  6. These are awesome - I'm sure many will end up on people's 2018 #nf10for10 lists! I love Kate Messner's "over and under" series - exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you're right. Some of these titles are bound to become really popular with kids.

      Delete
  7. We have a couple of overlapping titles on our lists, Melissa!

    I'm looking forward to your new book with Steve Jenkins. What an awesome collaboration that must be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel so lucky to have been paired with Steve Jenkins. He's one of my favorite author-illustrators.

      Delete
  8. Such a great list, Melissa! Cannot wait to read yours, as well as the rest of the list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maria. So many good nonfiction titles in 2017.

      Delete
  9. This is a great list! I can't wait to find some of these and share them with my students!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a few of these on my list of books I want to read that are being released in a few weeks. I don't know your most recent book and plan to read that next. Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We can't wait to read all of these. Thank you for sharing what will be published soon - Our TBR stack is growing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to get my hands on these titles. Another book by Jess Keating. Yay! I've marked this post for a return. Thank you for always keeping us up on the latest in nonfiction books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for starting the #nf10for10. So many great titles on these lists.

      Delete