Friday, December 2, 2016

A New Book

If you’re a fan of Feathers: Not Just for Flying, I have some great news, which I can FINALLY make public. Publisher's Weekly has recently announced a companion title, which will be called Seashells: More than a Home. It will be illustrated by Sarah S. Brannen and published by Charlesbridge in Summer 2018.

Right now, 2018 seems far, far into the future. Still, I’m giddy with anticipation.

Here are a few studies Sarah did last summer, before she even had a contract. Now that’s dedication! 

Aren’t the shells lovely? I can hardly wait to see the art for the book.

Both Sarah and I have been enamored with shells since childhood. I spent my summers beachcombing the sandy shores of Cape Cod, and Sarah enjoyed searching the rocky beaches of Penobscot Bay in Maine.

In some ways, I’ve been researching this book for most of my life. I’ve had the pleasure of spending countless hours exploring seashores all over the world, from Costa Rica to Mexico and the Galápagos Islands, from Hawaii, Great Britain, and Kenya to Vancouver Island, Canada.

Here are a couple of photos taken by traveling companions at moments when they were amused by my enthusiasm for shells and all the amazing creatures that call them home.

Haena State Park, Hanalei Bay, Kauai, Hawaii, January 2015

Botanical Beach, Provincial Park, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada, June 2015
As you can see, creating this book was a labor of love.

7 comments:

  1. I am so thrilled for you, Melissa! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Shell" I tell you how excited I am to hear this news? Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kirsten and Cathy. Sarah and I are delighted to be working on this book together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. EEEEEEE!!!!! Planning programs and storytimes now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous art!! Looking forward to reading it!. Congrats, Melissa & Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this in PW and was so happy for you, Melissa. I just love your blog posts and enthusiasm for what you do. It's going to be a fantastic book just like your other ones. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Jennifer, Maria, and Kaye. 2018 seems soooo far away, but it will be here before you know it.

    ReplyDelete