Friday, September 30, 2016

Pipsqueaks, Slowpokes, and Stinkers

I've written more than 180 science books for children, but last week, for the very first time, one of them was announced in Publisher's Weekly. Imagine my surprise when I saw it!

I'm delighted that Pipsqueaks, Slowpokes, and Stinkers: Celebrating Animal Underdogs will be illustrated by Stephanie Laberis and published by Peachtree Publishers in Fall 2018.

I know, I know, 2018 seems sooooo far away, but making a picture book takes time. I promise it will be worth the wait.

Here are a few art samples from Stephanie's terrific portfolio:


Don't you just love how she portrays animals? They're scientifically accurate and a whole lotta fun at the same time. This style is perfect for the book's lively, humorous voice.

Even though the information is presented in a fun way, the book's central nugget, it's creative core is serious. I was severely bullied as a child, and this book is my way of offering hope to children who might be facing something similar right now.

Everyday across America, children get picked on for being small or slow or shy or overweight or clumsy, but sometimes these perceived weaknesses turn out to be a core part of what makes them successful adults. Using examples from the animal world, I encourage children to flip their thinking, and to be kind to one another. 

13 comments:

  1. This sounds and looks like a must-read. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a terrific project, Melissa, and I love the art samples you shared. Congratulations, and I look forward to seeing the actual book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valuable premise, enchanting illustrations. Really looking forward to this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Pat. I'm looking forward to it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous! I can't wait to read this and share it with my students!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the idea of this book. Can't wait to get a copy in 2018!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is definitely my kind of book, Melissa--congratulations! I absolutely LOVE Stephanie's style! Those birds!! Looking forward to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's terrific! And what a great premise too. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Maria and Peggy. 2018 isn't that far away, right?

    ReplyDelete