Friday, May 20, 2016

Exploring Text Structures

Last Friday, I shared some great text feature work that the fourth graders at Kennedy School in Billerica, MA were doing. But the truth is those students have been busy, busy, busy immersing themselves in nonfiction projects.

After reading my book No Monkeys, No Chocolate, the students made book maps to get a stronger sense of the architecture of the main text, which has what I call a cumulative sequence structure (my mentor texts were traditional cumulative tales, such as The House that Jack Built and I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly.)

Then each child chose one example from the text and rewrote it with a cause and effect text structure.

Here are some close ups:
 


Wow, what a terrific idea!

Doesn’t this student work blow you away? I’m so impressed with the fourth grade writers at Kennedy School.

1 comment:

  1. This is wonderful! And so much more valuable than a test on cause & effect!

    ReplyDelete