Friday, March 11, 2016

Celebrating Winter

I don’t usually do school visits during the winter. Travel can be tough. Cancellations can happen, and rescheduling can be difficult. And most importantly, I need open time in my schedule to write new books.

But when I received a request from a school less than 2 miles from my house, I decided to accept. And boy, am I glad I did.

Over two days, I visited with each grade level and did individual classroom writing workshops with all the fourth graders. The students were so well prepared, and they were buzzing to meet an author who lived in their town. Some were pretty sure they’d seen me in the library or grocery store.

All the presentations went well, but my favorite part of the visit was sneaking into the K classrooms to see the students’ glorious murals inspired by Under the Snow. They were so proud of their amazing work.

 
Look at how this group used plastic wrap to represent the ice on top of a pond. Isn’t that clever?
 
My memories of this fun visit will keep me toasty warm until spring arrives.

1 comment: