Friday, October 23, 2015

What a Week!

Last week I had the pleasure of taking part in a week-long writing residency at Wealthy School in East Grand Rapids, Michigan. The students and staff welcomed me into their brand new Learning Commons and made me feel right at home.  

I offered presentations for each grade level and writing workshops for grades 3-5.
I also visited second graders in their classrooms and got a sneak peek at their science experiments as well as their works-in-progress. I even visited a local wetland with a group of 25 students for some observational writing inspired by our natural surroundings.
I was blown away by the quality of all the students’ writing as well as their probing questions about my own writing process.

Thanks so much to Mr. Morey, Mrs. Doele, and all the teachers and students at the school. I learned so much from all the Wealthy Wizards, including this . . . Go Blue!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like an amazing week, Melissa! You're an inspiration with the content you provide for teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice! How wonderful to have a length of time with students and teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, because I had a chance to get to know the students and the school community, we all had a richer teaching and learning experience.

    ReplyDelete