Monday, May 18, 2015

The Science-Literacy-Connection

If I were a fisher, I'd sleep in this fissure.

This fun sentence came to me as I was photographing this enticing crevice, and then I thought what a great homophone lesson! Homophones are two (or more) words that sound the same, but are spelled differently and have different meanings.

Small groups of fourth or fifth graders would enjoy looking through photos to inspire their own sentences with homophones. Students this age also enjoy creating jokes that involve homophones.

Q: What happened when T. rex tripped on a branch?
A: It got a dino sore.

Here's a  joke that takes advantage of a homograph (a word with two or more different meanings) as well as a homophone:
Q: Why did the fly fly?
A: The spider spied her.

These activities are great on their own, but they'd be even better after students have read the wonderful novel Rain Reign by Ann M. Martin.







No comments:

Post a Comment