Monday, October 20, 2014

I Wonder Why


2009
Every year my husband and I try to figure out whether the leaves on our trees are changing earlier than, later than, or at the same time as previous years.  After we make our guesses, I pull out the photos I took in 2009 documenting the annual cycle of the sugar maple tree in our front yard.

Year after year, we think the trees are changing later, but my 2009 photos always prove us wrong. Hmph!



2014
I also took a few photos of other trees in our yard in the autumn of 2009, including a sugar maple behind our driveway. For some reason, that tree always changes earlier than the one in the front. But what's even more interesting is that this year the leaves are reddish orange, where as in 2009 they were much more yellow. I wonder why.

2 comments:

  1. Do you think that the maturity of the tree is a factor in why the leaves are more reddish this year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I've noticed that all the sugar maples in my neighborhood are orangey red rather than bright yellow this year. So it isn't the increasing age of the tree. I'm thinking it must have something to do with the characteristics of the growing season, but I beyond that, I'm stumped.

    ReplyDelete