Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Behind the Books: Bugged

I read lots of books over summer vacation. My favorite was Bugged: How Insects Changed the World by Sarah Albee.

Why did I love this book so much? Thanks to the pacing, the voice, and all the fascinating information, I just couldn't put it down.

I learned lots of specific facts about insects and disease, but the book’s take away message was also something brand new to me—the idea that diseases transmitted by bugs influenced the outcome of wars, determined where civilizations developed, and shape the world we live in. Wow!

Bugged: How Insects Changed the World is expository writing at its best. The lively, conversational voice and kid-friendly approach to the topic are sure to delight even the most reluctant middle-grade readers, helping to bridge the gap between the fast-fact books they loved in elementary school and the more complex long-form nonfiction that they are expected to master by the time the graduate.

Bugged is one book every middle school should add to its collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment