Monday, May 19, 2014

Deadliest Animals: Look at Those Cool Photos!

When I gush over the amazing images in Deadliest Animals and other National Geographic Readers, I’m not being at all immodest. That’s because I have very little to do with tracking down the photos or deciding how to use them in the book. Sure, I make suggestions based on my research, but lots of other people are involved in the process. And each one of them has a special expertise that helps to make the book the best it can be.

The National Geographic Society has one of the best photo archives in the world and a team of photo researchers who knows the collection inside and out. That’s one of the reasons the Readers look so terrific. The other reason is the talented graphic designers who skillfully place all the elements on the pages.
Every time I see one of their layouts, I’m blown away. And as NG’s art directors and editors work to refine the design and finalize the text and images, the books just get better and better. The gorgeous photos and visually-dynamic design gives the National Geographic Readers their signature look.
Next week, I’m going to give you a sneak peek at some of the changes Deadliest Animals underwent during the layout and design process. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment