Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Behind the Books: The Animal Book



I don’t usually review books here on Celebrate Science, but today I’m going to make an exception. Anyone who reads this blog regularly knows that I am a huge fan of books by Steve Jenkins, and I can’t help but gush over what is now my favorite of all—The Animal Book.

This is a book I wish I had been handed as a child, and I have no doubt it will inspire a whole new generation of professional scientists and amateur naturalists. Combining art and ideas from a half dozen or so of his past titles with lots of brand new content, Jenkins has created a magnum opus that puts the animal kingdom in context for kids. The result is a clearly presented, visually dynamic overview that is sure to fascinate curious young minds.

 
Topics range from animal families and animal senses to extreme animals and animal defense strategies. Perhaps most importantly, Jenkins does an excellent job of putting the evolution of life on Earth in perspective for young readers.

I know there are children out there that will spend hours happily poring over this beautiful crafted, informative book. So please buy this book and put it in their hands.

1 comment:

  1. I agree - it's a book that kids can dip into when they want to know something, and the wonderful artwork may inspire creative kids to look more closely at science and the science-lovers to look at the aesthetics of animals.

    ReplyDelete