Monday, May 20, 2013

Having Fun with Common Core: Comparing Texts

When I began this strand of my blog, I wasn’t sure if I’d have enough to say to fill a whole school year. Turns out, I do. In fact, I could probably start all over again and include more great books that have just come out or that I’ve just discovered.

But before I get ahead of myself, let’s look at CCSS ELA Reading Informational Text #9. It’s all about comparing texts (at the lower grades) and integrating ideas (at the upper grades).


Integration of Knowledge & Ideas #9

Kindergarten

Grade 1

Grade 2

With prompting and support, identify basic similarities in and differences between two texts on the same topic

Identify basic similarities in and differences between two texts on the same topic.

Compare and contrast the most important points presented by two texts on the same topic.

Grade 3

Grade 4

Grade 5

Compare and contrast the most important points and key details presented in two texts on the same topic.

Integrate information from two texts on the same topic to write or speak about a subject knowledgeably.

Integrate information from several texts on the same topic to write or speak about the subject knowledgeably.

At grades K-1, I’m suggesting comparing fiction and nonfiction titles on the same topic. Here are two great pairs:

The Snail’s Spell by Joanne Ryder (illus Lynee Cherry)
Wolfsnail: A Backyard Predator by Sarah C. Campbell and Richard P. Campbell

Bring on the Birds by Susan Stockdale
Birds by Kevin Henkes (illus. by Laura Dronzek)

For grades 2-3, here are titles in which both books are nonfiction, but the approach is quite different:
When the Wolves Returned by Dorothy Hinshaw Patent (photos Dan and Cassie Hartman)

The Wolves Are Back by Jean Craighead George (illus. Wendell Minor)

The Tale of Pale Male by Jeanette Winter

City Hawk: The Story of Pale Male by Meghan McCarthy

The goals for grades 4 and 5 have to do with integrating texts, rather than just comparing them, so I’ll talk about that in my next Monday post.

No comments:

Post a Comment