Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Behind the Books: Woo-hoo!

For two whole months, I had to keep a very big secret. I’m not good at keeping secrets.

Ask my husband. Ask my brother. Ask my mom. It’s never too hard to get me to spill my guts. In fact, when I was little and I did something wrong, I told on myself. Really.

So imagine having to keep a secret from all my friends who are writers and teachers and librarians. It was NOT easy.

But finally, I can tell THE WORLD.

Last Saturday, my book A Place for Bats was given the 2012 Correll Book Award for Excellence in Early Childhood Informational Text at a ceremony at the University of Maine in Orono. Woo-hoo!

 
It takes a village to make a book. I’m so grateful to everyone who helped bring this one to life—illustrator Higgins Bond, editor Vicky Holifield, and art director Loraine Joyner were in the trenches with me. I also need to thank my husband who helped me research this book when he was temporarily out of work in 2008. And when Peachtree sent me three cover possibilities, we all listened and nodded as he explained why the cover we all see now was the best choice.

There have been five other books in the A Place for series, and some of them have received honors of their own. But I wasn’t so sure how this title would be received. After all, bats aren’t as beautiful as butterflies or as endearing as frogs. I’m so pleased to see that this book is getting out there and making a difference.

4 comments: