Monday, April 1, 2013

Having Fun with Common Core: More Tricky Six

I can’t believe that I ended up here at CCSS ELA standard 6, grade 3 on April Fool’s Day. It’s totally perfect.

When I started doing presentations about putting the RIT standards into practice, this was the point where I had to sheepishly grin and say, “I got nothin’.” For months, this standard had me stumped.

Then my friend, writer and school librarian Sam Kane, forwarded me a link to this article in Booklist. It discusses how Common Core categorizes text types (expository, persuasive, procedural, narrative) and recommends recently-published science books in each category.

My book, A Place for Bats, was included in the persuasive category. I was stunned. I didn’t think I was trying to persuade anyone of anything. I was merely laying out the facts and letting the reader decide.

But then I thought about it a little more.
Do I want people to protect bats and their environments? Yes.
By the end of the book, are kids going to understand that? Well . . . yes.
Are they going to take action? Maybe. Maybe not.
Then I remembered that pesky CCSS ELA RIT #6, grade 3. “Students should be able to distinguish their own point of view from that of the author of a text.”
Um, duh! I had written six books perfect for this standards and I hadn’t even realized it.
See why this post is perfecrt for a day dedicated to fools?
Anyhow, after having that startling moment of insight, it became much easier to pick out other books that would work well for this standard. Besides all my A Place for . . . books, I recommend:
City Chickens by Christine Heppermann
Write On, Mercy: The Secret Life of Mercy Otis Warren by Gretchen Woelfle

No comments:

Post a Comment