Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Behind the Books: They Get It!

I admit it. I read and obsess over reviews of my books.

For the most part, reviewers have been kind to my books. Sometimes they even bestow a star, and I’m delighted. And once in a while, I read a review and think: Wow, he/she really gets it! That’s what happened when I saw this Booklist review of A Place for Turtles.

“Turtles have lived on Earth for more than 220 million years, but modern environmental stressors make their existence in several regions of the world a tenuous one. Using examples of specific turtles and the regions where they live, Stewart blends a storybook-style narrative with factual marginalia to present a wide range of ecological challenges in this newest installment in the A Place for . . . series. Interposed with colorful and highly detailed acrylic illustrations, topics such as pollution, invasive species, and ecosystem destruction are all mentioned. Maps cover virtually all parts of the United States and detail the types of turtles indigenous to each region. While the topic of the book is clearly turtles, the narrative raises points of conversation on a host of environmental issues and will get young minds thinking about the interconnectedness of organisms, ecology, and the impact of human actions on the world around them. A classroom-friendly blend of story and fact.”

This review perfectly encapsulates the vision I had for this series when I write the first book more than a decade ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment