Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Behind the Books: More Kids Say the Darnedest Things

A few weeks ago, I had a blast Skyping with three groups of students at Y.A.L.E. School in Cherry Hill, NJ. And I just received a thick packet of letters in which the kids described three reasons they liked the program.

Some made a list. Others wrote it all out, sentence building upon sentence. Some were written longhand. Others were typed. Some followed the assignment, and some just wrote whatever came to mind. So much diversity in thoughts and presentation!

Here are a few of the highlights:

“I’m going to read ALL your books because I REALLY like science. It’s my favorite subject in school.”

“I liked getting to see a real author, which was you. I liked learning about the most dangerous insect, which is the mosquito.”

“I am your number one fan. Really.”

“You should be careful. Don’t get too close to any of the Deadliest Animals you write about.”

“You are a really good author and you should keep on writing books.”

“The main thing I learned is that one of your books has a mistake in it and some are out of date.”

“I learned that when you go to places around the world, you can be a better person.”

“You are a genius. You have a great accent.”

“You have the biggest bookcase I’ve ever seen. I bet it would take a while to read all those books.”

“Your book Snakes inspired me to start drawing snakes.”

“I think your research for your books is flawless.”

“You were calm, cool, and collected. And very funny. But also informative.”

“It was great to finally talk to a colorful author like you.”

“Sadly, I have to end this [letter] now because my teacher is getting really annoyed with me.”

1 comment: