Monday, March 11, 2013

Having Fun with Common Core: Text Structures, Cause/Effect

Teaching cause and effect can be pretty tough. I remember listening in on a lunchroom conversation among a group of teachers facing this challenge back in 2000. And that’s the main reason, I structured my A Place for . . . books the way I did. That makes them perfect for teaching cause/effect as well as problem/solution text structures.

To help you out, I’ve included some activity sheets on my website.
A Place for Butterflies by Melissa Stewart (illus Higgins Bond)
A Place for Fish by Melissa Stewart (illus Higgins Bond)
A Place for Frogs by Melissa Stewart (illus Higgins Bond)
A Place for Birds by Melissa Stewart (illus Higgins Bond)
A Place for Bats by Melissa Stewart (illus Higgins Bond)

A Place for Turtles by Melissa Stewart (illus Higgins Bond)

You can combine the first three of these titles with:
Butterfly or Moth? How Do You Know?
Frog or Toad? How Do You Know?
Shark or Fish? How Do You Know?
To look at all three text structures using a common animal theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment