Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Behind the Books: Kids Say the Darnedest Things!

A few weeks ago, I Skyped with a great group of kids at Rock Springs Elementary School in Lawrenceville, GA. I’m not sure who enjoyed it more—them or me.

Afterward, the school librarian and their classroom teacher (shout out to Mrs. Schmidt and Mrs. Zawaki) gave the students an opportunity to blog about their experience and what they learned. Let me tell you, it made for fascinating reading.

You can read all of their posts here, but I’ve included some of my favorite comments below. (I’ve corrected a few spelling mistakes and typos so the text is easier to read.)

 
Some students were surprised by how long it takes to write and publish a book:

“I had no idea on this Earth that a rough draft sometimes took years to be perfect.”

“Skyping taught me that when writing I should always take my time and spend a lot of time revising and editing.”

“Mrs. Stewart is really patient because when she makes her books it takes about 4 long years for the 1st library to have it out.”


Some of their comments made me laugh:

“I thought it was going to be boring, but she totally proved me wrong!”

“She does a pastel artist for a soft book. She does a pencil artist for a hard book.”

“It was great meeting someone who has a great taste of nonfiction texts.”
 

Some may want to consider careers as book critics:

“I have read many of her books and each one is worth my reading time.”

“Melissa . . . writes enough information but at the same time she puts her books in a funny way to not make it boring.”


Some students were inspired:

“What she talked about made me want to read more of her books, and to write some of my own.”

“I don't really like writing, but Melissa helped me understand how to make writing interesting.”

 
And some inspired me:

“Meeting with Melissa Stewart will be an event that I will always remember.”

It was a great hour-long discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment