Monday, February 13, 2012

Cool Clouds


Yesterday morning I took a quick photo of what appeared to be a solid bank of stratus clouds. But when I took a closer look at the resulting image on my computer, I noticed something that surprised me—some darker patches. See them?

I hadn’t noticed them with my eyes, so I took another look out the window. Sure enough, there they were. But something about the wonders of photography made them a bit more noticeable in the images. That surprised me because I’ve often marveled at how difficult it is to capture a sunset’s true beauty with a camera.

I did some research to try to figure out what the darker areas were, but I couldn’t find much. My best guess is that they are denser concentrations of water droplets. I can’t figure out why the droplets would cluster more tightly in some areas than others. I thinking it must have something to do with the conditions in different areas of the atmosphere. But I’m still looking for answers. Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment