1. Your body has more than 200 bones. During a simple stroll down the street, you use at least one hundred bones.
2. Bones are five times stronger than steel, but they don’t weigh as much as you might think. Your skeleton makes up only about 16 percent of your body’s total weight.
3. Without the three itty-bitty bones inside each ear, you couldn’t hear a thing. On of them, the stapes, is the smallest bone in your body.
4. The mandible, or lower jaw, is the strongest bone in your body.
5. During the day, gravity pushes down on your body, and the bones in your spine smoosh together. But as you sleep lying down, the spaces between the bones in your spine increase. So by morning, you’re about 0.5 inches (1.2 centimeters) taller.
Looking for more Gross and Goofy Body facts? Check out my book Moving and Grooving: The Secrets of Muscles and Bones. It’s full of weird, wacky, strange, and surprising information about your body and the bodies of other animals.