- Horses and deer walk on their tippy toes. Because these animals can really reach out during each stride, they move very fast.
- Why can a jacana walk on floating plants? Because its long, thin toes spread out the bird’s body weight.
- A turkey uses its large toes and sharp toenails to scratch the ground in search of insects and other tasty treats.
- The sticky pads on a gecko’s toes help it dart up tree trunks and scamper along branches.
- Ever noticed stinky globs of caking, crumbling gunk between your toes? It’s toe cheese—a mangled mash of dead skin cells, dirt, bacteria, and sock lint. Yuck!
Looking for more Gross & Goofy Body facts? Check out my book Give Me a Hand: The Secrets of Hands, Feet, Arms, and Legs. It’s full of weird, wacky, strange, and surprising information about your body and the bodies of other animals.