Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Behind the Books: What’s for Dinner?

For the last couple of weeks, I’ve been reading through the books on this year’s National Science Teachers Association-Children’s Book Council Outstanding Science Trade Books for Students. I’ve enjoyed all the books so far, but one really stood out.

I admit that I’m a sucker for science poetry, especially funny science poetry. And readers of this blog know I love gross and goofy science facts. What’s for Dinner?: Quirky, Squirm Poems from the Animal World by Katherine B. Hauth is a book that delivers on both counts.

Here’s a petite appetizer:

“Finding food
is not a joke.
Living things must eat
or croak.”

The book features 29 poems that will make kids laugh out loud as they learn about the food chain, predator-prey relationships, animal defenses, symbiosis and more.

It looks like I’m not the only one who thinks this book is a real treat. The sometimes snarky folks at Kirkus gave What’s for Dinner? a starred review, and NC Teacher Stuff sums up the book's contents nicely: “This book is not for the faint of heart, which makes it perfect for older elementary and middle school students.”

Trust me. This is a book to add to your reading list.

1 comment:

  1. Is it, like, a field guide to meals? I'm starving....
    Seriously, it sounds like a great book and I've got that NSTA book list taped to my wall. This is one I haven't read yet, so thanks for passing on a reminder to check it out.

    ReplyDelete