Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Behind the Books: My Summer Project

When my first book was published in 1998, I had no idea that being an author involved a whole lot more than researching and writing. There’s also school visits, speaking at conferences, promoting books as they come out, maintaining a website. The list goes on and on.

My current writing project is always front and center in my mind, but for the last few summers, I’ve committed to spending time on a marketing project too. A couple of years ago, I overhauled my website. Last summer, I developed some new school visit programs. This summer was all about videos.

I did some research, bought an editing program, and started to fool around with the video setting on my digital camera. As it turns out, my first production didn’t include any video at all. It’s a compilation of school visit photos. But that doesn’t mean it was easy.

A production with just photos means no sound. There are a couple of soundtracks that come free with the slide show builder section of my editing program, but I didn’t think they were appropriate. I could have bought rights to use a downloadable sound file, but I decided not to go that route. Instead, I wanted to feature a couple of songs that I’d written to go with my books.

Since my husband is a musician, he has some recording equipment. I bought a microphone that would be perfect for recording voices (his are better for instruments), got together a group of kids, and had a recording session in my office. It was a whole lot of fun, and those kids did a great job.

Here’s a video of them performing.

And here’s their lovely singing coupled with photos I’ve taken at recent school visits.

It was a lot of work, but I really like it. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment