Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Behind the Books: Honeybee Productions

When I quit my job and became a fulltime writer in 2000, I needed a name for my business. My mom suggested “honeybee” because it’s science-y and because Melissa is the Greek word for “honeybee.”

I loved it. But I needed another word to go with it. Writing? No, I also did editing. Books? No, it sounded like a publishing company. Hmmm.

Then, my friend Brendan January suggested Honeybee Productions. “You never know what you’ll be doing in 10 years,” he wisely said. “I think you want to keep it as broad as possible. Who knows, maybe you’ll make a movie someday.”

Did Brendan have a crystal ball? Back in those days Flip cameras and Facebook and YouTube didn’t even exist. There were no iphones, iPods, or iPads either. But somehow Brendan predicted the future.

I never really used the name “Honeybee Productions”—until this summer. Here’s my very first self-made video production. I hope you like it.

2 comments:

  1. Great video. I always wondered where the "honeybee productions" came from. I figured you just had a backyard hive tucked away in the garden.... or just loved bees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of people think I'm a beekeeper. But it's just part of my name.

    Thanks Sue.

    ReplyDelete