Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Behind the Books: Amazing Editors

Last week I gushed about how thankful I am to have a fantastic critique group. But they aren’t the only ones who play an important roll in my writing process. Not by a long shot.


When I visit schools, I tell students that showing my manuscripts to the members of my critique group would be like them exchanging papers with their classmates and asking for some suggestions.

But sending my writing off to my editor is more like them handing in a paper to their teacher. The stakes are a whole lot higher.

I’ve been lucky enough to work with lots of great editors. But the one I talk about most during school visits is Vicky Holifield at Peachtree. Vicky and I have been working together since 2001. So far, we’ve published six books, and we have four more in the works.

Vicky is a mild-mannered editor who always finds the kindest, gentlest way to nudge me and my manuscripts in the right direction. She usually likes to stay behind the scenes, but about a month ago, she sent me this photo so that I could use it in a Power Point presentation I show during school visits.

Since this is my last Wednesday post for the 2010-2011 school year, it seems only appropriate to thank Vicky for her tremendous contribution to so many of my books. Thanks, Vicki! I couldn’t have done it without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment