1. Right now, you have about 100,000 hairs sticking out of your scalp. About 85,000 of them are growing. The rest are either taking a break or getting ready to fall out.
2. You lose about a hundred hairs every day. But you probably don’t even notice. That’s because new hairs start to grow right away.
3. Some people’s head hairs stop growing after just two years. Their hair never even reaches their shoulders. But in other people, hairs keep on growing for seven years or more.
4. How long do you think your hair would grow if you never cut it? A Chinese girl named Xie Qiuping asked herself that question in 1973, when she was thirteen years old. Today, her hair is more than 18 feet (5 meters) long. That’s more than three time longer than she is tall!
5. When a hair stops growing, it rests for ten days to three months. Then it breaks and falls out, and a new hair starts growing.
Looking for more Gross & Goofy Body facts? Check out my book Here We Grow: The Secrets of Hair and Nails. It’s full of weird, wacky, strange, and surprising information about your body and the bodies of other animals.