Monday, March 21, 2011

Take a Look: The Horn Book

Just a week ago, I practically swore that I was going to refocus this Monday "Take a Look" strand to fit my original intention for it--looking more closely at the nature around us.

BUT

BUT

BUT

Oh heck, the words "Take a Look" are just too broad. And the truth is this week the main thing I wanted to look at and read and devour and internalize was the March/April issue of the The Horn Book. I have to admit, I don't always read The Horn Book. But when I heard they were devoting an entire issue to nonfiction, well, I had to have it. I couldn't just read the articles online. I had to pick up a copy at my local book store.

Trust me, it was well worth the $13.00.

From cover to cover, the issue is bursting with articles by all the children's nonfiction authors I love--Deborah Heiligman, Tanya Lee Stone, Elizabeth Partridge, Chris Barton, Kathleen Krull, Susan Campbell Bartoletti, Jan Greenberg and Sandra Jordan, Steve Jenkins, Canadace Flemming.

And that's not all. There was a great article by Erica Zappy, editor of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt's Scientists in the Field series. Laurie Halse Anderson wrote a wonderful piece about her research for the historical fiction novel Forge. There were also some great overview articles and an editorial in which Roger Sutton actually defended series nonfiction (well, sort of).

Seriously, if you're interested in nonfiction for kids, you need to read this issue of The Horn Book.

Next week, we'll get back to the natural world. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment