Monday, January 24, 2011

Take a Look: Fantastic Forests

I’ve spent most of my life in New England, and I know many local woodlands intimately. I can tell you which rotting log is home to a spotted salamander and when and where you’re likely to find timberdoodles or ovenbirds. So it was a big treat for me to spend time in a forest where I was clueless.

The trees were different.

The ferns were different.

Moss was . . . everywhere.

The MacKenzie Bight forest on Canada’s Vancouver Island is a truly enchanting place. But don’t take my word for it, take a look for yourselves.





Here’s an image of a striped maple in one of my favorite New Hampshire forests. It’s a lovely, richly diverse New England woodland.

Now compare that to this forest.  Doesn’t it look like a place where you might find some frolicking fairies? I love the shapes of the trees and all the moss hanging from them.

And this New England forest seems downright stark and boring compared to . . .

. . . this lush, lovely landscape. Amazing.
The wide world is a wonderful place, and there is so much to explore and discover. Where’s the best place to get started? Your own backyard.


Follow an ant just to see where it’s going.

Pick up a pebble and imagine how it’s spent the last million years.

Listen for bird calls and try to identify the birds making them.

You’ll be amazed by the treats you can find right outside your door.

No comments:

Post a Comment