Monday, September 27, 2010

Take a Look: Fascinating Fungus

Last spring, I met Melissa Techman (@mtechman), an elementary school librarian in Charlottesbille, Virginia, on Twitter. After reading a blog post I wrote about nonfiction voice, she came up with a great idea: Why not have students create nature journals in which they experimented with voice.

According to her plan, some entries would be written in what she called “wondrous first person” and others would be written in “serious third person”. I loved the idea so much that I’ve decided to try the same thing here on my blog.

Last week, I wrote about a fungus I found in New Hampshire in the wondrous first person. Today I’m going to try to write about the same organism in the serious third person, as a scientist would in his or her notebook.

10:13 hours, September 4, 2010
Eagle Mountain Trail, Jackson, NH
Sunny, clear sky, 73 F, gentle breeze
Moist, shady mixed forest with rich understory

About one-quarter mile from the trailhead, the observer noticed a white fungus approximately 3 inches in diameter. It had many spiky projections and resembled a coral. It was growing singly on rotting log that had fallen neaxt to the trail. Later, the unfamiliar specimen was identified as a white coral tooth fungus.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful species. I love the name!

    I love this voice exercise, as well. I think I'll try it in our current science investigation. I wrote my last entry in the "serious third person." I'll try "wondrous first" next time. (See photo of my journal for a snippet)
    http://michellecusolito.blogspot.com/2010/09/teachable-moments.html

    September is definitely the month to see amazing mushrooms/fungi! I'm always stopping along the trails behind my house to snap a photo and examine some bright orange species pushing up beside a decomposing stump.

    ReplyDelete