Monday, July 12, 2010

Good Morning, Maple

We’ve been having a heat wave and drought here in New England, and the water reserves are down so low that my town announced a ban on outdoor watering. That’s bad news for my garden and even the lawn. We’ve never had to water the grass before, but this year’s it’s burned to a crisp in some spots.

Our front yard faces almost due south. and it gets the full force of the afternoon sun. Most of the time I’m happy about that, especially on cold winter days. But lately the sizzling sun has been brutal.

As you can see in this picture, the grass on the west end of our front yard (foreground) is brown and wilted. Very sad. But the grass on the east end of the yard looks fine. Why? Because it lies in the shade of my favorite tree. That’s just one more reason to love my lithe maple.

2 comments:

  1. We normally have a short drought each summer where I live in NE Missouri, but this year we've had over three FEET of rain since the beginning of June.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you've been getting our rain. We sure would like it back. :-)

    ReplyDelete