Monday, June 28, 2010

Good Morning, Maple

Now that we are a full week past the solstice, summer is in full swing. Flowers are blooming all over the yard, butterflies are flitting around. I keep hoping to spot some monarch eggs or caterpillars on the milkweed I’ve been nursing for two years, but so far, nothing.

But there’s plenty of life hanging out on my maple tree. Of course, there’s all the usual suspects—ants, spiders, flies. But because I don’t want to keep showing you the same thing week after week, I decided to try something new.


It’s called patience.

Instead of just snapping photos of the first little critters I spotted, I circled the trunk slowly, looking up, looking down. I really focused my full attention on the tree.


I watched and waited, waited and watched. I knew something magical would appear if I just slowed down and centered myself.

And sure enough, it did. Look, a daddy longlegs. I’ve never noticed one of these on my tree before. It’s so perfectly camouflaged that I didn’t see it until it moved. Then I quickly switched to my macro lens, and snap. I got this great photo.

I’m glad I waited to see something special.

No comments:

Post a Comment