Monday, May 24, 2010

Good Morning, Maple

There’s a blue jay that has become very fond of my maple tree, and I’ve been trying to get a good photo of him all week. Unfortunately, the bird seems to be camera shy. It flies away at just the wrong moments.
So instead, I decided to get up close and personal. Basically, I couldn’t resist the urge to play with the macro setting on my camera again.

This morning, I saw two ticks, a downlooker fly (star of last week’s post), a moth that I haven’t been able to identify, and a spider so transparent that I just couldn’t get a picture of it. Bummer.

The good news about the ticks is that they were wood ticks, not deer ticks (which can carry Lyme’s disease). Still, where there are wood ticks, there are probably deer ticks too. So I guess I should be careful if I go barefoot in the yard this summer.

I was pretty surprised to spot for different kinds of creatures on my tree today. It’s amazing what we can see in nature—if we just take the time to look.



No comments:

Post a Comment