Monday, May 17, 2010

Good Morning, Maple

Now that my tree is fully leafed out, I don’t think the view from my window will be changing too much. But up close, there should be lots of activity.

Birds and insects and spiders should all be spending time hanging out on my tree. My maple is a great place to rest, hunt for a meal, or maybe even make a home.


My previous attempts to capture the little guys with my simple point-and-shoot camera didn’t go so well, but I have some exciting news. Last week fellow writer Michelle Cusolito taught me a new trick. I have a macro setting on camera, and I didn’t even know it.

Michelle patiently explained how to change the setting, and . . . Holy Moly look at the great close up shot I got of this snipe fly on my maple! Thanks, Michelle. You rock!!

Sometimes called the downlooker fly, this relative of the deer fly commonly sits on tree trunks with its head oriented toward the ground. When a helpless victim passes by, the vicious little biter takes a chomp. I’m glad this one didn’t bite me.

I can’t wait to see what other cool close-up views I’ll be able to photograph over the next few weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Yay, Melissa! I'm so glad you're now able to get the photos you want to get. And... I learned about the downlooker fly. I see them all the time but didn't know anything about them. Your photo made that possible- I recognized it right away.

    Thanks for helping me with my blog, as well. I appreciate you teaching me how to include links more easily and to include book covers in my posts. I know my readers appreciate the art and I appreciate the posting process being easier. Look at how great this post looks with the book cover art in it! Much better than without.

    http://michellecusolito.blogspot.com/2010/05/cora-cooks-pancit.html

    ReplyDelete