Friday, April 9, 2010

Friday Fun

Wow! Mrs. Zawacki’s fourth grade class in Atlanta, Georgia really rocks! Look at this PowerPoint presentation that they made based on the Readers Theater script I wrote to accompany my book Under the Snow.

I love the sound of their voices and the energy that they all put into saying their lines. It sounds like they’re really having fun.

I have to thank J.L. Bell for suggesting that I write “a little play” to go with an earlier book called When Rain Falls. He came up with the brilliant idea while we were eating dinner with Jacqueline Davies at an SCBWI New England conference a few years ago.

And it was the amazing Toni Buzzeo who took the fledgling idea and helped me get started writing my very first script. Now I’ve written scripts to go with a whole bunch of my books, and more are on the way.

It’s so much fun to see how every class interprets the scripts differently and end up putting on performances that are completely unique. I'm grateful to those kids and to the hard-working teachers and librarians who facilitate the activity.


Happy Friday to you all!

3 comments:

  1. THANK YOU for mentioning our students - we are on spring break this week but I can't WAIT to show them this when we get back next week. Our next project with this class is they are writing their OWN readers theater from a picture book - we'll let you know how that goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sending me the link, Kathy. Their reading and their drawings were wonderful. They made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some people have their best ideas when they’re asleep. I might as well have been asleep since I don’t remember this part of that conversation, but I’m glad it’s producing ongoing benefits for you!

    ReplyDelete