Monday, March 22, 2010

Good Morning, Maple

Saturday was the official start of spring, but I don’t expect to see my little maple leafing out anytime soon. It will probably be more than a month before those buds burst.

But I’m hoping I might be able to get a sneak peek at those little guys.

Lots of people bring forsythia into their homes, where the constant warm temperature forces their bright yellow blossoms to open early. I recently learned that it’s possible to do the same thing with the leaf buds of some trees.

I’m not sure whether maple trees can be tricked by spring-seekers like me, but it’s worth a try.


Yesterday morning, I clipped a small branch with four buds off my maple tree, and I’m conducting an experiment. (You all know how much I like experiments.) I placed the branch in a drinking glass full of water and placed it in the window of my office. Let’s see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment