Monday, November 16, 2009

Good Morning, Maple!

Last week, when I said the maple tree had lost all its leaves, I was overstating things a bit.

The truth is there are still about thirty leaves left on the tree. Those leaves have turned brown, but I guess their petioles (the little nub where a leaf stem attaches to a tree branch) didn’t get the message that they were supposed to break free.

I wonder how long those leaves will stay on the tree. Guess we’ll find out.

Seeing those last holders-on reminds me of a children’s book I love: The Little Yellow Leaf by Carin Berger Greenwillow, 2008). The story’s protagonist is an oak leaf that hangs onto its tree long after all its friends take the plunge. It feels lonely. Around midwinter, it notices a red oak leaf still attached to a nearby tree. Finally, the two leaves agree to float to the ground together. Lovely story. Amazing art. If you haven’t seen this book, check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment