Monday, October 19, 2009

Good Morning, Maple!

Last week I noticed that the sugar maple I’ve been observing in the front yard seems to be holding onto its green coloring longer than the Norway maple out by our driveway. Because our front yard faces south and gets a lot of afternoon sunlight, I was thinking that the light and the warmth associated with it was delaying the leaves' color change.

But this week I’m not so sure about that hypothesis. Look at the Norway maple outside my window now. There are hints of yellow here and there. But there is a lot of brown on those leaves.

Brown, brown, brown. That’s what's supposed to happen to leaves in other areas of the country. But here in New England, we are supposed to see brilliant yellows and fiery reds and bright oranges. And I do see colors like that on other trees, but not on my maple. For some reason, it’s not showing off this year.

I’m not sure why my maple’s leaves are only giving a half-hearted performance. But I’m going to keep watching and investigating. Let’s see if we can figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment