Monday, October 12, 2009

Good Morning, Maple!

Mid-October is supposed to be the peak of the foliage season her in New England. So my husband and I hiked over a mountain to see what we could see. This is what we saw when we looked up. Beautiful.

This is what we saw when we looked down. Lovely.

But this is what I see out of my window this morning.
My Norway maple, the most prominent feature of our small front yard, is still green, green, green. Why is it lagging behind the trees we saw in the woods over the weekend?

Let’s go outside and investigate.

Hey, wait a minute! Look at this Norway maple in our side yard.
It’s a bright, cheery yellow. Shouldn’t it be just as green as my Norway maple in the front yard? What’s going on?

Here’s a closer view of “my” maple tree from the same angle that I photograph it out my window.

It reveals one yellow leaf out of about a hundred. At least it’s a beginning, right?

Now let’s go around take a look at the other side of “my” maple. Here’s a shot I took from our driveway.
It’s kind of hard to see, but there are a lot more yellow leaves on this side of the tree. Hmmm. I wonder why.

So here’s what we know.

1. My Norway maple in the front yard is still mostly green.

2. The other Norway maple in the side yard is completely yellow.

3. The part of my Norway maple that faces the side yard has considerably more yellow leaves than the part of the tree that faces the street.

I’ve developed a hypothesis. Have you? Let me know in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment